Friday, April 12, 2013

A review of "Debunking 9/11 conspiracy theorists" by Myles Power

On October 31, 2012 blogger and vlogger Myles Power began uploading to his Youtube page the first of a seven part series called "Debunking 9/11 conspiracy theorists".

The series (as you can tell by the name in itself) primarily focused on several of claims that members of the 9/11 Truth movement made when he went down to the World Trade Center site on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, and interviewed some of the movement's members that were there protesting near by.

The main claims that were addressed were the ones concerning the beliefs that the Twin Towers and WTC 7 were brought down in a controlled demolition, that thermite was used to bring the towers down, and that a missile hit the Pentagon (along with a few other minor related claims).

Myles does an excellent job at debunking these claims using a combination of science, logic, and photographic and video evidence, while at the same time addressing and debunking these claims in a way that is not only easy to understand, but is also entertaining. I even learned couple of things myself that I didn't even know, such as that the plane that hit the Pentagon struck several lamp posts before it actually hit, and what exactly caused the Twin Towers to finally collapse (besides just the constant heat from the intense, jet fuel fueled fires that were causing the steel beams strength to weaken, the constant pressure from the rest of building up above pressing down on the weakened steel beams, and of course the damage caused by a Boeing 767 traveling 400 mph into this sides of the buildings).

While I did very much enjoy the series, I do have a couple of (minor) complaints.

First is that there were a few more claims that, in my opinion, should have been addressed.

While I know that Myles was primarily focused on the claims from the 9/11 Truthers that he had met made to him, I believe he should have addressed a few other claims that are also made by other 9/11 Truthers, such as the drone theory, the "let it happen" theory, the "Israel did it" theory, the "no plane" theory, and the related "space laser" theory (which he did briefly mentions, but would not bother address simply because it was so insane, which I don't blame him for).

If he does decide to make some follow up videos concerning some of the issues that were not addressed, I do hope that he will address and debunk these claims.

My other complaint actually concerns the sixth part of the series, which talks about the psychology behind 9/11 Truthers (and conspiracy theorists in general).

While I did find that part to be very interesting and informative in showing how conspiracy theorists think, in my opinion I don't feel that the part was actually necessary. Why I do know that part was included to help better show the thought processes of a 9/11 Truther, I feel that part should have been completely separate from the series, rather than apart of it.

Besides these two minor issues, I felt overall that this series was excellent, and I highly recommend viewing it, and not just for skeptics and debunkers, but also for people in the 9/11 Truth Movement, and people who just have some unanswered questions about that horrible day.

Below is the first of the seven part series:



The other six parts can be found here

Myles's Youtube Page

Myles's Blog

Myles's Facebook Page

Myles's Twitter Page

No comments:

Post a Comment